A healthy lifestyle is paramount in order to maintain a normal pace of life. This usually starts with the foods that you are putting into your system due to the way food affects your health. Creating healthy meals for your family that provide a high amount of nutrients can help everyone physically, mentally, and even emotionally.
Enjoy these 5 super simple healthy recipes for your family
If you don’t know where to start, consider the following healthy recipes for your family.
Black Bean Burgers
If you’re a meat eater who’s tempted to turn your nose up to the thought of a black bean burger, give it a chance. In fact, these nutrient-rich beans transform into the richest, satiating burger experience that can rival any hamburger at a local eatery while being an inexpensive recipe as well.
To keep the process simple: use canned beans.
- Rinse and strain them thoroughly.
- Place them on a baking sheet to bake for 15 minutes.
- Once the beans are slightly baked, place them in a bowl along with seasonings and spices.
- Add sauteed onions and garlic for enhanced flavor.
- Seasonings such as cumin, chili powder and paprika take the experience to the next level.
- You can even add cheese inside. Options like mild cheddar or feta will be magical.
- Don’t forget to add eggs to bind everything together.
- Mix it all together in a large bowl. Separate a ⅓ cup of the mixture to create patties on a baking sheet.
- Bake each side for 10 minutes at 375 degrees.
Once the burger is ready, add all of your favorite burger toppings.
Nourish bowls are also called Buddha bowls by many. It’s basically a mix of healthy foods in one bowl. It’s really easy to prepare as long as you’ve prepared the ingredients in advance. You can use quinoa as your base grain. It takes 30 minutes to cook. While the quinoa is cooking….
- Roast some broccoli and carrots in the oven for 20 minutes at 400 degrees.
- Once the vegetables are ready, pull them out of the stove and stir them in some garlic hummus.
To prepare your bowl:
- Add the quinoa first.
- Top it with fresh spinach.
- Place some chopped tomatoes into the mix.
- Place the hummus-covered roasted vegetables on another side.
- If you’d like to add a piece of meat or fish to the side, you can do that.
- Drizzle extra virgin olive oil on top.
- Squeeze a bit of fresh lemon juice on the top as well.
- You can also add freshly-cracked black pepper and some sea salt to finish things off.
You’ll have a beautiful bowl filled with nutrient-rich foods that taste amazing.
Grilled Garlic Mushrooms
Mushrooms are highly underrated, but add so much richness to any recipe they’re in. If you’d like to get the healthiest option, consider growing them yourself through the monotub cultivation process. Enjoy them on their own or with a Fettuccine Alfredo dish.
The best way to preserve the nutrients in mushrooms is by grilling them.
- Soak the mushrooms in a liquid blend of liquid smoke, salt, pepper and freshly minced garlic.
- Allow them to marinate for a few hours.
- Once you’re ready to grill them, place a row of mushrooms on a skewer.
- As they’re on the grill, baste and turn them every five minutes.
- Do this process for fifteen minutes.
- After grilling the mushrooms, pour a simple sauce of fresh garlic, butter and fresh parsley.
Enjoy them as a topping over a salad, on pasta or on their own.
Vegan Ice Cream
If you’re looking to decrease your intake of dairy, consider cashew milk ice cream. Cashews provide creaminess.
- Soak the cashews overnight.
- Then, place them in a blender along with vanilla extract, coconut cream and sugar.
- Once you’ve blended the ingredients, add in a pinch of salt and some cashew butter.
- Once you’ve combined all the ingredients, place them in a freezer-safe container until frozen and ready for consumption.
- Start by adding a tablespoon of oil to cover the bottom of a large pot.
- Add 1/4 cup of popcorn kernels to the pot.
- Turn the temperature to medium-high heat.
- Cover the pot.
- Shake the pot every few seconds to coat the kernels in oil.
- Even as the kernels continue to pop, be sure to continue shaking the pot until the popping is complete.
- Spray the popcorn with coconut oil spray.
- Add your choice of seasonings such as nutritional yeast flakes, salt and red pepper flakes.
It’s totally possible to enjoy extremely healthy meals that promote wellness without sacrificing taste. Sure, it might take a little longer to prepare your healthy meals. This is why it’s wise to plan meals in advance. If you’re used to ordering take-out meals on a regular basis, going in the kitchen to prepare food every night might feel foreign at first. Just give it time! Before you know it, you’ll become a healthy chef who can whip up healthy meals at a moment’s notice.
About the Writer: Rayanne Morriss is currently working towards her BA from Oregon State University. She loves to write, read, travel, and paint. She enjoys finding new coffee shops with friends and expanding her cooking skills with her husband.