Did you do it? Did you make resolutions, or goals (seems that’s the new buzz word out there,) for the new year? What did you make a priority for the new year? Is it health and fitness, like so many of us in the world? Did you happen to plot out ways to accomplish your health and fitness goals? I totally did! The first thing I chose to do? Not use the word resolution, or goal, but rather PRIORITY. My priority for the new year is to focus on ME this year, and not everyone else. How will I make me a priority? Yes, the health and fitness is my first “goal” towards putting myself first. I know, crazy, right?
Wait, what? How can this be? You’re a mom, there’s no putting yourself first! I hear you, but if I don’t put me first this year, this whole shit-show is going to go down in flames! 2016 is the year of Mama Sunflower! You want to know what my plans are? I’m happy to share them with you.
Priority for the new year is…..ME (first goal is health and fitness)
Oh my, isn’t it the first thing almost everyone does on New Year’s Eve? Make resolutions, rather “goals,” and one of the first ones on the list is somehow related to our health: losing weight; going to the gym; and, eating healthier. However, not many people making these goals, figure out a way to accomplish any of these goals. Oh, I don’t mean you don’t join a gym; buy some workout DVDs; sign up for websites like Grokker, that offers healthy recipes, and at home workouts, including Yoga, and a series of videos for runners; and, make a list for healthier selections when heading out to the grocery store.
What I mean by “making a plan” is what happens BEYOND the signing up, making lists, and buying things no one has any intention of using until “tomorrow, when I’ve eaten all of the leftover food from our holiday party.” You know, sitting down, and making sure you’ll use: the gym memberships, workout DVDs, Grokker recipes and home workout videos, and not throwing out all the fresh, nutritious food purchased in the “new year goal setting” haze. It’s all about the “what’s next?”
So, what’s next? Simple things, really.
- Watching the videos on Grokker! The videos are so helpful, and show how to make the amazing recipes, not just list out the ingredients and instructions! I’ve got the iPad Pro ready, on it’s little stand, and all my ingredients waiting to be sliced, diced, chopped, sauteed, and roasted!
- Assigning a friend who keeps me accountable at the gym. I’m fairly lucky in this area of life, as one of my closest friends happens to not only own a gym, but is also a personal trainer. SCORE FOR ME. His role in my life is to make sure I show up for our sessions, because he’s my friend. His other role in my life is to allow me to yell a string of profanities at him while he makes me use my body in ways my body hasn’t been used in years. Remember, I sit almost all day, writing, and my body has acclimated to being hunched over, lazy, and full of fat.
- Removing all the packaged foods from the house, replacing the packaged foods with fresh produce, and meats. Don’t throw the packaged foods out. Donate them to a local food pantry, or if you know of a family in need, offer the packaged products to them. Spin it as “you’re challenging yourself in the kitchen, and you don’t want any shortcuts, only things you are forced to make from scratch.” If the packaged foods aren’t in the house, it’s going to force even the worst cooks to make something with the fresh ingredients. Again, there’s always Grokker to look for recipes, and watch how those recipes are made!
- Food shopping can’t always be done, but you’re going to need to have fresh ingredients! We can’t afford to do this every week, but the weeks that will be the busiest (kids have activities that just never stop, extra events you have to travel to, late nights at work, etc.) call for a little assist. HelloFresh is my go-to for weeks a mom needs a little assistance, support, and still eat the right foods! Plus, none of the ingredients go to waste. HelloFresh sends the exact amounts you need!
- Getting more sleep. Strange, but true. I’ve heard it through the grapevine, that when you get more than a couple of hours of sleep each night, it’s good for you. Improved sleep means more patience for life’s daily stresses; losing weight becomes easier; and, husbands become less irritating. Now, I haven’t experienced this, so I can’t attest to any of it, but it’d be nice if all of it was true. I fully intend on finding out! My new friend Thunder 1.0 is going to assist me on my sleep goals.
What am I missing? Should I be doing other things to fulfill my priority for the new year? I was going back and forth about drinking more…..but figured it’d be counter productive. Calories, calories…..
For more great health, and fitness posts, be sure to check out these awesome posts written by my fellow Chosen Chix: