fbpx

Harmful Easter Treat Ingredients for Dogs

Disclosure Statement: NovemberSunflower.com is a small business. In order to survive, there's a need to make money. I love a lot of things, I share those things, and if I can make a little commission here, and there, I'm 100 percent going for it. Why should the brands I love be the only ones making money, right? Please, use my affiliate links within this post when placing your orders with the brand, or joining up with the brand. Your support is beyond appreciated!

I’ve always had dogs. My mom had fur babies before she had human babies. After losing my beloved Pug in 2016, I never thought I’d want another dog. Then I met two pitbull dachshund mixes and I couldn’t NOT bring them home! However, they’re extremely difficult to train (perhaps because they’re litter mates). Since they don’t listen to the “leave it” or “drop it” commands, my anxiety over Easter is at an all-time high! Figure if I’m nervous about harmful easter treat ingredients for dogs, others out there are also nervous.

harmful easter treat ingredients for dogs

Harmful Easter Treat Ingredients for Dogs

Perhaps my older age makes training dogs more difficult? Maybe the fact that they’re litter mates; or the fact that I have to train my kids on how to train dogs, is why my two puppies just do not listen for shit. Whatever the reason, for the first time in my life, I’m puppy proofing my home. I’m also doing my best to keep food ingredients in some of our favorite treats far away from our puppies. Easter brings new stress!

Chocolate

All chocolate is bad for dogs. Milk. Dark. Baking. All of it. Depending on the dog’s size, the chocolate type and how much chocolate is consumed, will determine the dog’s reaction. The DARKER the chocolate, though, the more dangerous.

When a dog eats chocolate, be aware it can cause:

  • gastrointestinal problems
  • pancreatitis
  • hyperactivity
  • tremors
  • seizures
  • elevated heart rate

Keep a close eye on your dog if you know they got into some chocolate, and call your vet if you notice your dog acting weird.

Xylitol

Xylitol is also extremely toxic to dogs. It’s been known to cause:

  • hypoglycemia
  • seizures
  • liver failure
  • DEATH

Even small amounts are toxic and deadly to dogs. Keep anything sugar-free, sugarless away from dogs. Normally, xylitol is used in sugar-free and sugarless candies and gums.

Raisins & Grapes

We’re big on Irish Soda Bread. This year, St. Patrick’s Day and Easter are within weeks of each other, so our home will probably have soda bread in the house for a good month. Our bread usually includes raisins.

Even though no one knows WHY raisins and grapes are toxic to dogs, and sometimes deadly, they have been known to cause kidney failure. It’s not a slow thing when it happens. It’s quick and sudden.

Be careful with currants, too.

Usually when the kids eat grapes, or things with raisins, it’s done in the kitchen and all surfaces are looked at thoroughly to make sure raisins and grapes aren’t anywhere the puppies can get to them. Not easy, but grapes are one of the only healthier things my son eats, so we can’t ban them from the house. Even with these unbelievably bad puppies who refuse to listen to me!

Nuts (especially macadamia)

I’m an almond lover. I’m just super careful when I eat them at home. Again, always checking the floor and tables, etc. to make sure everything is clean. No remnants of nuts anywhere, so they don’t choke on a nut. Most nuts are just choking hazards. Plain nuts, anyway. If you have chocolate covered ones, or some other kind of mixed nuts, there could be other hazardous ingredients.

Even though puppies can have peanut butter (that does NOT contain xylitol), it’s not good to feed them a consistent diet of nut butters. Once in a while to get pills down is okay, but again, read the ingredients and make sure there’s no xylitol.

Mostly nuts are high in fat, and they also cause choking. HOWEVER, the macadamia nut is actually toxic. It may cause vomiting, muscle weakness and tremors.

Blue Cheeses

When blue cheeses are made, the fungus produces roquefortine C. Dogs end up eating this, and it causes vomiting, diarrhea, and sometimes seizures.

Onions/Garlic/Chives/Shallots/Leeks

Onions are most toxic, and every part of the onion is TOXIC to dogs. EVERY PART.

  • onion itself
  • leaves
  • juice
  • processed powders

It doesn’t matter if it’s raw or cooked. It’s TOXIC. Garlic is also toxic, whilst chives, shallots and leeks are harmful to dogs.

Table scraps aren’t meant for pets. If you cook often, consider keeping the dogs out of your kitchen, to avoid an emergency visit to your local emergency vet.

Keep those puppies safe out there and have a fantastic, healthy and happy Easter Season.

A request to Please share this article with others using the share buttons located above and located below the article.

 

By | 2021-03-05T14:02:25-05:00 March 15, 2021|Food|0 Comments

About the Author:

Staci loves to write, and loves to share her "take" on everything thrown her way. Movies, entertainment, food, fashion, shopping, money, travel and family. There's nothing off limits at NovemberSunflower.com, and Staci's always telling it like it is: good, bad, and all that lies in between!

Leave A Comment