Summers are long, and hot. There’s going to come a point where you can’t head to the beach again, and the kids are bored with everything. When it’s a hot day, and you want to experience some fun without a huge cost, think about going to some museums for free. Long Island has some wickedly awesome museums for free in Nassau, as well as Suffolk! How can a kid say no to heading to the Autoseum to see cars like Vin Diesel’s GTO from the movie XXX? Okay, I can’t say no to that kind of thing, but the kids enjoy cool cars, too!
Museums for free in Nassau County ***ALWAYS CALL BEFORE YOU GO***
American Guitar Museum
- Contact: 516.488.5000, americanguitarmuseum.com
- Location: 1810 New Hyde Park Road, New Hyde Park
- Hours: 10 A.M. to 6 P.M. Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Fridays; 10 A.M. to 10 P.M. on Thursdays; 9 A.M. to 5 P.M. on Saturdays.
American Merchant Marine Museum
- Contact: 516.726.6047, usmma.edu/museum
- Location: Steamboat Road on grounds of U.S.Merchant Marine Academy, Kings Point
- Hours: 10 A.M. to 3 P.M. Tuesday through Friday. Closed for Federal Holidays.
- Contact: 516.571.1894, autoseum.org
- Location: 100 County Seat Drive, Mineola
- Hours: 10 A.M. to 4 P.M. Saturdays and Sundays from May to September.
- Contact: 516.572.8400, friendsofcedarmere.org
- Location: Bryant Avenue, north of Northern Boulevard, Rosyln Harbor
- Hours: Grounds open daily. The house is closed for restoration.
East Rockaway Grist Mill Museum
- Contact: 516.887.6320
- Location: Woods and Atlantic avenues, East Rockaway
- Hours: 1 P.M. to 5 P.M. on weekends from June to Labor Day
Garden City Historical Society Museum
- Contact: 516.746.8900, gardencityhistoricalsociety.org
- Location: 109 11th Street, Garden City
- Hours: 10 A.M. to 4 P.M. Tuesdays through Fridays; 12 P.M. to 4 P.M. Saturdays.
Historical Society of the Massapequas
- Contact: 516.799.2023, massapequahistoricalsociety.org
- Location: 4755 Merrick Road, Massapequa
- Hours: 2 P.M. to 4 P.M. third Saturday of each month from April to October.
Historical Society of the Westburys
- Contact: 516.333.0176
- Location: 445 Jefferson Street (on Westbury Library grounds)
- Hours: 10 A.M. to 1 P.M. Wednesdays; 1 P.M. to 5 P.M. Thursdays; 12 P.M. to 4 P.M. first Saturday of month September through June.
Hofstra University Museum: David Filderman Gallery and Emily Lowe Gallery
- Contact: 516.463.5672, hofstra.edu/museum
- Location: Hempstead Turnpike, Hempstead
- Hours: Click on the above link to view the hours. They change frequently depending on installations, and holidays, as well as University recesses.
Nassau County Police Museum
- Contact: 516.573.7620, policeny.com/ncpdm2005.html
- Location: 1490 Franklin Avenue
- Hours: Must call for an appointment.
Phillips House Museum
- Contact: 516.764.7459, rvcny.us/PhillipsHouse.html
- Location: 28 Hempstead Avenue, Rockville Centre
- Hours: 1 P.M. to 4 P.M Saturdays and Sundays from September to June, open Sunday only in August. Group tours by appointment.
Rock Hall Museum
- Contact: 516.239.1157, toh.li
- Location: 199 Broadway, Lawrence
- Hours: 10 A.M. to 4 P.M. Wednesdays through Saturdays; 12 P.M. to 4 P.M. on Sundays.
Sagamore Hill National Historic Site
- Contact: 516.922.4788, nps.gov/sahi
- Location: Sagamore Hill Road, Cove Neck
- Hours: 10 A.M. to 5 P.M. Wednesdays through Sundays. Grounds & museum are free during rehabilitation.
Seaford Historical Society and Museum
- Contact: seafordhistoricalsociety.org
- Location: 3890 Waverly Avenue, Seaford
- Hours: 1 P.M. to 4 P.M. Sundays from June to August. Other times by appointment.
Museums for Free in Suffolk County ***ALWAYS CALL BEFORE YOU GO***
1901 Restored Railroad Depot and Freight House
- Contact: 631.957.7500, villageoflindenhurst.com
- Location: Irmisch Park, South Broadway and South Third Street, Lindenhurst
- Hours: 2 P.M. to 4 P.M. Wednesdays, Fridays and Saturdays during June through August.
Bayport Aerodrome Society’s Living Aviation Museum
- Contact: 631.472.2393, bayportaerodrome.org
- Location: Bayport Aerodrome Vitamin Drive off Church Street, Bayport
- Hours: 12 P.M. to 4 P.M. Saturday and Sunday from March to October.
- Contact: 631.852.3377, suffolkcountyny.gov/parks
- Location: 1012 Flanders Road, Route 24, Flanders
- Hours: 10 A.M. to 5 P.M. Mondays through Saturday; 1 P.M. to 5 P.M. on Sundays. ALL YEAR LONG. Call ahead, hours could change on any given day!
DNA Learning Center
- Contact: 516.367.5170, dnalc.org
- Location: 334 Main Street, Cold Spring Harbor
- Hours: 10 A.M. to 4 P.M. Mondays through Fridays.
- Contact: 631.878.1855, ketchaminn.org
- Location: 81 Main Street, Center Moriches
- Hours: By appointment only for professionals and students interested in Colonial architecture restoration.
Kings Park Heritage Museum
- Contact: 631.269.3305, kpheritagemuseum.net
- Location: 99 Old Dock Road, in the RJO Building, Kings Park
- Hours: 9 A.M. to 4 P.M. Mondays through Fridays ALL YEAR. Appointments are suggested.
Lake Ronkonkoma Historical Society Museum
- Contact: 631.467.3152, lakerhs.org
- Location: 328 Hawkins Avenue, Lake Ronkonkoma
- Hours: 10 A.M. to 2 P.M. Saturday, and by appointment for a FEE.
- Contact: 631.598.1486, amityvillehistoricalsociety.net
- Location: 170 Broadway, Amityville
- Hours: 2 P.M. to 4 P.M. Sundays, Tuesdays, and Fridays all year.
- Contact: 631.329.3288, leibermuseum.org
- Location: 446 Old Stone Highway, East Hampton
- Hours: 1 P.M. to 4 P.M. Wednesdays, Saturdays, Sundays.
- Contact: 631.924.1820
- Location: Longwood and Smith Roads, Ridge
- Hours: 9 A.M. to 3 P.M. Mondays through Fridays, ALL YEAR.
Manorville Historical Society
- Contact: 631.878.1579
- Location: 50 North Street, Manorville
- Hours: Thrift store & schoolhouse is open on the first Saturday of every month.
National Jewish Sports Hall of Fame and Museum
- Contact: 631.462.9800, jewishsports.org
- Location: 74 Hauppauge Road, Suffolk Y Jewish Community Center, Commack
- Hours: CALL.
Old Schoolhouse Museum
- Contact: 631.653.4224, quoguelibrary.org
- Location: 90 Quogue Street, Quogue
- Hours: 3 P.M. to 5 P.M. Wednesday and Friday; 10 A.M. to 12 P.M. Saturdays from July to August.
Oysterponds Historical Society, The Museum of Orient and East Marion History
- Contact: 631.323.2480, oysterpondshistoricalsociety.org
- Location: Village Lane, Orient
- Hours: 2 P.M. to 5 P.M. Thursdays, Saturdays & Sundays July through September.
Stirling Historical Society, Margaret E. Ireland House Museum
- Contact: 631.965.3598
- Location: 319 Main Street, Greenport
- Hours: 1 P.M. to 4 P.M. weekends from July to September.
Suffolk County Police Museum
- Contact: 631.852.6174
- Location: 30 Yaphank Avenue, Yaphank
- Hours: 9 A.M. to 5 P.M. Mondays through Fridays. Self-guided tours.
Swan River Schoolhouse Museum
- Contact: 631.654.1712, greaterpatchoguehistoricalsociety.org
- Location: 31 Roe Avenue, East Patchogue
- Hours: 1 P.M. to 4 P.M. July 13, 27 and August 10, 24.
Tuthill House Museum
- Contact: 631.288.1139, whbhistorical.org
- Location: 101 Mill Road, Westhampton Beach
- Hours: 10 A.M. to 2 P.M. Saturdays, June 14th through September 28th.
Verizon Telecom Pioneer Museum
- Contact: 631.543.1371
- Location: 445 Commack Road, Commack
- Hours: 1 P.M. to 4 P.M. the first Sunday of each month (except for holidays.) Other times by appointment.
William Floyd Estate
- Contact: 631.399.2030, nps.gov/fiis
- Location: 245 Park Drive off Neighborhood Road, Mastic Beach
- Hours: 9 A.M. to 5 P.M. Friday through Sunday.